Gypsum or Plaster Board is a mixture of gypsum with fiberglass and silicon. It’s used for suspended gypsum ceilings, and it can be utilized in an interior space to enhance the ceilings and walls as a best alternative to false ceilings. It gives luxury and stylish finish to the interiors.
Types of Board
1- General or Standard Plaster Board
A cardboard layer is wrapping the material with white color on one side and grey color on the opposite side on this type. Also with a blue adhesive. This variety is affordable, common and might be used in any place except for humid areas, such as bathrooms and also in the cooking areas.
2- Fire-and-Moisture-Resistant Plaster Board
Green Double-sided cardboard is covering this material with green adhesive. This kind of type is used in moisture places like bathrooms or kitchens, and this type is considered the foremost luxurious in the market and it is the most effective type over the others.
3- Fire-Resistant Gypsum Board
This type is more or less similar to the general or standard Plaster board in its packaging, except the usage of adhesive which is different and it is a red colored one. This variety is best used for walls and partitions.
Standard sizes and it’s uses
THICKNESS TYPICAL USES
1/4″ (6.4 mm) Remodeling, double layer walls, curved surfaces, sound insulation systems
5/16” (7.9 mm) Manufacturing housing walls and ceilings
3/8” (9.5 mm) Base for big panels, double layer for walls/ceilings, curved surfaces
1/2” (12.7 mm) & 5/8” (15.9 mm) Any interiors and covered exterior uses
3/4″ (19.0 mm) 1″ (25.4 mm) Interior walls; shaft walls, area separation walls, party walls, fire walls, stairways, duct enclosures
- Gypsum Board are normally used for decoration purpose and it makes a Luxury feel to the bedrooms, halls and other Interiors, which provides interesting and appealing shapes within the Interiors.
- It is widely used for Ceilings, like in Houses its used for lights, regular or random geometric shapes.
- It’s an ideal Molding for Intrinsic Designs which can make the look Ultra Luxury within the Interiors.
- Even balanced LED lighting inside the Gypsum hypes the ceiling’s presence.
- Also Its used as decoration for the walls as moldings, frames around mirror or other furniture, decoration for the shelves around the television in an elegant and distinct manner
2- Functional uses
- It is usually used for ceilings to hide the wires and services into the living space and therefore the services like Electricity, Telephone wires, Fire extinguisher pipes and Air con. ducts can be hidden above it.
- Used as partitions to divide the interior spaces like in rooms, offices etc..
- It is used as Thermal Insulation to trap the air within the spaces and keep you and your family as per comfort. The air gaps will provide perfect air circulation within the rooms and enhance the comfort.
- It is used as Noise Protection to provide you with perfect sound insulation. It’s because the tendency of the gypsum to absorb excessive noise.
Gypsum Plastering and Molding
Gypsum plastering is that the best environmental friendly alternative to traditional sand-cement application for internal plastering surfaces. Gypsum plastering is additionally a best and faster application method for internal surfaces, since it doesn’t require time consuming water curing process.
- Gypsum Plaster is a luxury and smooth finish compared to cement plaster. However, it’s preferable to go with gypsum plastering for the interior spaces and cement plastering for the exteriors spaces.
- These are often the most effective visual artefacts, incorporating in designs and patterns to enrich the look of an interior. At the same time, mouldings protect the walls by covering the gap between two areas and preventing any direct impact onto these corners.
- Gypsum plaster is very much resistant to fire.
- It has low thermal conductivity.
- Decorative application: It can be easily applied to decorative purposes also and may be molded into different shapes.
- Some of the categories include crown molding, chair rail molds, and baseboard trim molds or baseboard molding.